Friday, July 11, 2008

Apologies and Clarification

It's come to my attention that some of my remarks in earlier posts were a bit over-the-line and unnecessary. In particular I regret and apologize for the comment that compared Lyle Fass to Ralph Nader in a disparaging way. I don't know Lyle personally and even if I did that sort of personal attack is not what I intend to do on this blog and should not have happened. In the future I'll do everything possible to avoid making comments that could be construed as personal attacks in any way. If someone feels slighted please let me know and I'll rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

Part of the goal or idea for this blog is to act as the voice of an inside outsider within the online wine community and larger world of the wine trade in general. I won't spend too much time discussing particular wines or making tasting note lists because I think that many of the people who write the wine blogs on my blog roll already do this and can do a much better job of it than I (Lyle is included in this). If I encounter something really unusual or if I disaggree with someone elses notes than I may mention and discuss a particular wine. I also think that there are now plenty of wine writers and bloggers who have taken up the mantle of anti-point scale, anti-parkerization, anti-mass produced supermarket wine and again are more knowledgable about this than I. I don't wish to simply be another voice in the choir but it should be assumed that I agree with those principles and am obviously a big fan and advocate of natural, no gimmicks wine. What I think may be useful is someone who can read and disseminate the information out there and discuss larger issues of how we talk about wine and food and what the social, economic and environmental implications are. I think this conversation could include other blips of both pop and high culture but for me the framing reference will be wine. Why? Well I like wine. I like it's connection to geography and history and culture. I also like drinking it and so I'm lucky to be able to work in a field that I truly care about. But does this mean I believe that wine and the wine community are above criticism and/or some fun-making? No way, I don't think anything is so serious that you can't criticize it or laugh about it. But again, this should not and will not enter the realm of personal attacks. I hope people will read this and enjoy it and feel free to criticize me and all my ideas since they are probably deserving of it. That's all for now, I need a drink.

7 comments:

Lyle Fass said...

Thanks. And I apologize If I got nasty. I just never did anything to you so when I get attacked without provocation I get nasty.

Anonymous said...

Furthermore, Lyle has never run for President of the US, so the analogy is inapt.

Steve said...

As a joint reader Of Kapital and Rockss, I too appreciate your comments. There's plenty of room to debate the wine -- and even get a a little nasty and pompous about it just for the fun of it -- without taking out the bloggers along the way. Let's chalk it up as a lesson for all of us -- civility, while terribly uncool sometimes, has its good points :-)

Beau Rapier said...

All right then, we are moving on to other things. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

Bobo said...

I liked it better when you guys were fighting.

Anonymous said...

Stop being a pussy and stand behind what you wrote. Fass attacks other and runs like a little bitch when you call him out. Tough either have the stones to put yourself ouot there or let someone else do it. Then lyle says he is going to stop bloggin unless all his fans tell him how special he is? come on call your mother and get back to work. Do not cow to this ego manic. What he hates in wine he wants for blogging I will start calling him Spoof bloging.

Beau Rapier said...

Thanks anonymous. But I think it gives too much importance to anyone for me to spend all my time pointing out how hypocritical or ego maniacal he/she is. In one sense it sort of validates them. But don't worry, I will continue to criticize whenever I feel the need/desire. Cheers.